- Engineering a Hall of Fame Career: Harry Hooper: An American Baseball Life, by Paul J. Zingg, (University
of Illinois Press), Elysian Fields Quarterly, Fall 1994.
- Lip Service: The Lip: A Biography of Leo Durocher, by Gerald Eshekanzi (Morrow), Elysian Fields Quarterly,
- Innocence and Wonder: Baseball Through the Eyes of Batboys, by Neil D. Isaacs (Masters), SABR Bibliography Committee
Newsletter, January 1995.
- Memories and Dreams: All My Octobers, by Mickey Mantle and Mickey Hershkowitz (Harper Collins);
Mickey Mantle: The American Dream Comes to Life, by Mickey Mantle and Early Lewis (Sagamore). Elysian
Fields Quarterly, Spring 1995.
- Bums No More! The Championship Season of the 1995 Brooklyn Dodgers, by Stewart Wolpin (St. Martin's Press),
Nine, Spring 1996 (Vol. 4, No. 2).
- How Hometown Players Fare in All-Star Games, SABR's Baseball
Research Journal #25, 1996.
- I Was Right on Time, by Buck O'Neil, SABR Bibliography Committee Newsletter, July 1996.
- Letters to Mickey (Harper Collins); Sports Illustrated Presents Mantle Remembered (Warner);
The Last Hero: The Life of Mickey Mantle (Simon & Schuster), SABR Bibliography Committee Newsletter, October
- This Side of Cooperstown: An Oral History of Major League Baseball in the 1950s, by Larry Moffie (Iowa University
Press). Nine, Spring 1997 (Vol. 5, No. 2).
- Baseball's Best Short Stories, edited by Paul D. Staudohar (Chicago Review Press), and Tales of
the Diamond: Selected Gems of Baseball Fiction, edited by Laurence J. Hyman and Laura Thorpe (Woodford Press). SABR
Bibliography Committee Newsletter, April, 1997.
- Philadelphia's Old Ballparks, by Rich Westcott (Temple University Press). Nine, Fall 1997 (Vol. 6,
- The White Sox Encyclopedia, by Richard C. Lindberg (Temple University Press). SABR Bibliography Committee Newsletter,
- Murder at Fenway Park, by Troy Soos (Kensington). A Red Sox Journal, July-August 1997.
- The Babe in Red Stockings: An In-Depth Chronicle of Babe Ruth with the Boston Red Sox, 1914-1919, by Keen, Hickey
and Sinibaldi (Sagamore Publishing, Champaign, IL). SABR Bibliography Committee Newsletter, October 1997.
- The Babe in Red Stockings: An In-Depth Chronicle of Babe Ruth with the Boston Red Sox, 1914-1919, by Keen, Hickey
and Sinibaldi (Sagamore Publishing, Champaign, IL). A Red Sox Journal, Fall 1997
- The Great Rivalry: The Yankees and the Red Sox, 1901-1990, by Ed Linn (Ticknor & Fields,
NY). A Red Sox Journal, Fall 1997
- Baseball Tidbits , by Victor Debs, Jr. (Masters Press, Indianapolis), SABR Bibliography Committee
Newsletter, January 1998
- Pen Men: Baseball's Greatest Bullpen Stories Told by the Men Who Brought the Game Relief, by Bob Cairns (St.
Martin's Press, NY). Amazon.com.
- Diz: The Story of Dizzy Dean and Baseball During the Great Depression
by Robert Gregory. (Penguin USA, NY). Amazon.com
- Baseball for Dummies (Morgan and Lally, IDG, Foster City, CA); Tim McCarver's Baseball
for Brain Surgeons and Other Fans (McCarver and Peary, Villard, NY); The Babe: The Game That Ruth Built
(Ritter and Rucker, Total Sports, NY); Talkin' Baseball: An Oral History of Baseball in the 1970s (Pepe,
Ballantine, NY); The Yogi Book (Berra, Workman, NY). BookPage, April 1998.
- Twin Killing: The Bill Mazeroski Story, by John T. Bird (Esmerelda Press, Birmingham, AL). Nine,
Spring 1998 (Vol. 6, No. 2).
- Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose and Other Reflections on
Baseball, Story, by George F. Will (Scribner, NY), BookPage, June 1998.
- Ted Williams: A Tribute , by Jim Prime and Bill Norwin (Masters Press, Indianapolis). A Red Sox
Journal, Spring 1998.
- Troy Soos: Ballfield History Mysteries. The Mystery Review, Summer 1998.
- Had a Nice Day: My Greatest Day in Baseball, 1946-1997: Baseball Legends Recount Their Epic Moments , as
told to Bob McCullough (Taylor). Elysian Fields Quarterly, Summer, 1998.
- Fighting Jews: When Boxing Was a Jewish Sport, by Allen Bodner (Prager). Congress Monthly, September/October
- Recollection by Perfect Game Pitcher Somewhat Flawed. The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
in Baseball, by Don Larsen and Mark Shaw (Sagamore Publishing, Inc.), Amazon.com, August 1998
- Going, Going, Gone: Music and Memories from Broadcast Baseball , by Anthony De Simone, (Freidman/Fairfax Publisher,
NY). Nine, Fall 1998 (Vol. 7, No. 1)
- The Babe: The Game That Ruth Built , by Lawrence Ritter and Mark Rucker (Total Sports, NY). SABR Pictorial
History Committee Newsletter, September 1998
- "Best Ever" Team Deserves Better. Yankees '98: Best Ever (Sports Publishing, Inc.: Champaign, IL), Amazon.com,
- The 400 Home Run Club: A Different Perspective, SABR's Baseball Research Journal #27, 1998
- The "Bizarro" Subway Series, SABR's Baseball Research Journal #27, 1998
- Book Bunts: The Sporting News Presents The Top 100 Baseball Players of All Time The Sporting News ( TSN, 1998) vs.
100 Greatest Baseball Players of All Time. . . And Why! by Ken Shouler (Addax Publishing, 1998) The Warning Track (Website) January
- Rachel's Song. Fan, Fall/Winter, 1998
- Yankees '98: Best Ever (NY Daily News. Champaign, IL. Sports Publishing, 1998); Unbeatable! The Historic
Season of the 1998 World Champion New York Yankees , by George King. (NY: Harper, 1998); Champions: The 1998 New
York Yankees (New York Times. New York: Bishop Books, 1998); Yogi Berra: An American Original (NY Daily
News. Champaign, IL: Sports Publishing, 1998). SABR Bibliography Committee Newsletter, January, 1999
- Book Bunts #2: The Reference Shelf. Total Baseball, 5th Edition by Thorn, Palmer, Gershman and Pietrusza. (1997,
NY: Viking Press); Bill James Presents STATS Inc. All-Time Baseball Sourcebook. (1998, Skokie, IL: STATS Inc.); The
New Dickson Baseball Dictionary, by Paul Dickson. (1999, NY: Harcourt Brace.); Baseball America's Baseball Address
List #10, by Smalley. (1999, NY: Simon & Schuster.); Baseball America's Directory: The Complete Pocket Guide.
(1999, NY: Simon and Schuster). The Warning Track, February 3, 1999.
- Book Bunts #3: Here Come the Yankees: Yankees '98: Best Ever (NY Daily News. Champaign, IL. Sports Publishing,
1998); Unbeatable! The Historic Season of the 1998 World Champion New York Yankees (by George King. NY: Harper, 1998);
Champions: The 1998 New York Yankees (New York Times. New York: Bishop Books, 1998); Yogi Berra: An American Original
(NY Daily News. Champaign, IL: Sports Publishing, 1998). The Warning Track February 17, 1999
- Book Bunts #4: The Business of Baseball: Baseball and Billions , by Andrew Zimbalist (Basic Books, 1992);
Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball, by John Helyar (Villard, 1994); Inside the Strike Zone, by
Randal Hendricks (Eakin Press); Play Ball: The Life and Troubled Times of Major League Baseball, by John Feinstein
(Villard, 1993); Playing Hardball: The High-Style Battle for Baseball's Newest Franchises , by David Whitford, (Doubleday,
1993); Big League, Big Time: The Birth of the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Billion Dollar Business of Sports, and the Power
of the Media in America, by Len Sherman, (Pocket Books, 1998); Legal Bases: Baseball and the Law, by Roger Abrams
(Temple University Press, 1998). MENTIONS:Diamond are Forever: The Business of Baseball, edited by Paul M. Sommers.
The Brookings Institution, 1992; Government and the Sports Business, edited by Roger G. Noll. The Brookings
Institution, 1974; The Diamond Revolution: The Prospects for Baseball After the Collapse of Its Ruling Class, by
Neil J. Sullivan. St. Martin's Press, 1992; Balls and Strikes: The Money Game in Professional Baseball, by Kenneth
M. Jennings. Praeger, 1990; The Imperfect Diamond: A History of Baseball's Labor Wars, by Lee Lowenfish. DiCapo Press,
1991; The Name of the Game: The Business of Sports, by Jerry Gorman and Kirk Calhoun. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1994.
- Mickey Cochrane: The Life of a Hall of Fame Catcher, by Charles Bevis, (McFarland & Company, Inc.,
Jefferson, NC). Nine, Spring, 1999 (Vol. 7, No. 2).
- Oral History: Interview with Sparky Anderson, Nine, Spring, 1999 (Vol. 7, No. 2).
- Judge and Jury: The Life and Times of Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, by David Pietrusza. Diamond Communications,
1998. Outside the Lines: The Newsletter of SABR Business of Baseball Committee, Spring, 1999
- Out of the ballparks: bats and stats: Summer of '98: When Homers Flew, Records Fell and Baseball Reclaimed America
, (Lupica, Putnam); Celebrating 70: Mark McGwire's Historic Season (TSN and St. Louis Post Dispatch); The Sporting
News Selects Baseball's Greatest Players: A Celebration of the 20th Century's Best (Smith, TSN); The Real 100
Best Baseball Players of All Time . . . And Why! (Shouler, Addax); The Autobiography of Baseball (Wallace, Abrams);
Mickey Mantle, the Yankee Years: The Photographs of Ozzie Sweet (Tuff Stuff Books); Reflections of the Game: Lives
in Baseball: The Photographs of Ronald M. Modra (Willow Creek); All-Time Baseball Sourcebook (STATS); Home
Plate Cookbook (Saunders, Crane Hill). BookPage, April, 1999.
- Book Bunts #5: It's Opening Day. Do You Know Where Your Team Is? Ballpark Vacations: Great Family Trips to Minor League
and Classic Major League Ballparks Across America, by Bruce Adams and Margaret Engel (Fodor's); The Official Baseball
Atlas (Rand McNally); Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks, by Bob Wood (McGraw-Hill); USA Today: The Minor League Baseball
Book, by Bruce Adelson, et al, (Macmillan). The Warning Track April 1, 1999.
- Bookshelf: The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary (plus an interview with the author). Purebaseball, April
- Bookshelf: Leaders of the Pack: The Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers from 1870 to Today (Scribner)
and Baseball Managers: Stats, Stories and Strategies (Temple) Purebaseball.
- Bookshelf: Home Run Derby: The Home Run Game, edited by Dick Wimmer (Burford Books) and The 500 Home
Run Club (by Allen and Gilbert, Sports Publishing Inc.) Purebaseball.
- Bibliographia: The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary by Paul Dickson (Harcourt Brace and Company). Verbatim
Magazine, Spring 1999
- Book Bunts #6: Who Are These Guys (And Why Are We Reading About Them)? Biographies of the poor and relatively unknown.
The Warning Track, May 13, 1999.
- Using sports to become an American. Sports and the American Jew , edited by Stephen A. Reiss ( University of
Syracuse Press). New Jersey Jewish News, May 20, 1999
- Book Bunts #7: The Anniversary Waltz. Home Run: My Life in Pictures (Aaron and
Schaap, Total Sports); Amazin' Mets: The Miracle of '69 (Sports Publishing Inc.); '59: Summer of the Sox
(Vanderberg, Sports Publishing Inc.). The Warning Track, May 26, 1999.
- The Best American Sportswriting of the Century, edited by David Halberstam (Houghton Mifflin, Boston), BookPage,
- Bookshelf: The History Lesson. A Whole New Game: Off the Field Changes in Baseball, 1946-1960 , by John
P. Rossi (McFarland & Co.: Jefferson, NC) and Baseball's Pivotal Era, 1945-1951, by William Marshall
(University of Kentucky Press, Lexington). Purebaseball, June 2, 1999
- Book Bunts #8: I Got Your STATS Right Here. (Various books from STATS Inc.). The Warning Track, June 11,
- Bookshelf: Sacred Records: Perspectives on the Records That Have Shaped Sports History , edited by Greg
Echlin (Addax: Lenexa, KS). Purebaseball, June 16, 1999.
- Am I Hearing Things? A Ron Kaplan Extra. Purebaseball, June 16, 1999.
- Bookshelf: Fenway Lost and Found. Fenway: A Biography in Words and Pictures, by Dan Shaughnessy and Stand Grossfeld,
(Houghton Mifflin: Boston); Fenway Saved, by Bill Nowlin and Mike Ross, (Sports Publishing Inc.:NY); and Our
House: A Tribute to Fenway Park, by Curt Smith (Masters Press: KS). Purebaseball, July 6, 1999
- Book Bunts #9: Get Out Your Scrapbooks. (Various). The Warning Track, July 6, 1999
- The Umps Want to Walk? Bye-bye A Ron Kaplan Extra. Purebaseball, July 19, 1999.
- Bookshelf: The Hall is Calling. George Brett: A Royal Hero, edited by the K.C. Start, 1999); George
Brett: From Here to Cooperstown, by George Brett with Steve Cameron (Addax, 1999); The Sporting News Presents Nolan
Ryan: From Alvin to Cooperstown, (1999); Baby Bull: From Hardball to Hard Times and Back, by Orlando Cepeda
with Herb Fagen and George Cantor (Taylor, 1999). Purebaseball, July 23, 1999
- Trivia Pursuit. The Great Book of Baseball Knowledge by David Nemec (Masters Press), Out of Left
Field, by David Lyons and Geoffrey Lyons (Random House) Purebaseball, August 17, 1999.
- Ultimate High: My Solo Ascent Everest, by Goran Kropp (Random/Discovery: New York).Booklist, September
- Why Johnny Hates Sports, by Fred Engh, (Avery). Booklist, September 1, 1999
- Bookshelf: The Race is On: Books About Pennant Races: Pennant Races: Baseball At Its Best, by David Anderson
(Doubleday); The Sporting News Selects Baseball's Greatest Pennant Races, by Lowell Reidenbaugh (The Sporting News);
The Year of the Gerbil, by Con Chapman (Rutledge Books); Epic Season: The 1948 American League Pennant Race
, by David Kaiser (University of Massachusetts Press). Purebaseball and The Warning Track, September
- Fenway Lost and Found. Fenway: A Biography in Words and Pictures, by Dan Shaughnessy and Stand Grossfeld,
(Houghton Mifflin: Boston); Fenway Saved, by Bill Nowlin and Mike Ross, (Sports Publishing Inc.:NY); Our House:
A Tribute to Fenway Park, by Curt Smith (Masters Press: KS). A Red Sox Journal, September, 1999
- Bookshelf: The State of the Union: You're Missin' a Great Game, by Whitey Herzog and Jonathan Pitts (Simon
and Schuster, 1999) and Long Balls, No Strikes, by Joe Morgan and Richard Lally (Crown, 1999), Purebaseball.
- They Too Wore Pinstripes, by Brent P. Kelly (McFarland, 1999). Nine, Fall, 1999
- Playing for Pride. Baseball Research Journal, 1999
- Bookshelf: The Art of Baseball, Part One: The Art of Baseball: The Great American Game in Painting, Sculpture
and Folk Art, by Shelly Mehlman Dinhofer. (Harmony Books, 1990); Diamonds are Forever: Artists and Writers on Baseball
(Chronicle Books, 1987); Baseball: A Treasury of Art and Literature, edited by Michael Ruscoe (Hugh Lauter
Levin Associates, Inc, 1993). Purebaseball, November 16, 1999
- Bookshelf: The Art of Baseball, Part Two: Photography: Reflections of the Game -- Lives in Baseball: The Photography
of Ronald C. Modra, Essay by Pat Jordan (Willow Creek Press, 1998); Baseball Days: From the Sandlots to the Show,
Photographs by Henry Horenstein, Essays and stories by Bill Littlefield (Bullfinch Press, 1993); Baseball Photographs
by Walter Iooss, Jr. Text by Roger Angell (Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers, 1984); Baseball's Golden Age:
The Photographs of Charles M. Conlon, by Neal McCabe and Constance McCabe (Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers, 1993);
Mickey Mantle, The Yankee Years: The Photographs of Ozzie Sweet, Text by Larry Canals (Tuff Stuff Books, 1998).
Purebaseball, November 29, 1999
- The Other National Pastime. Purebaseball, December 2, 1999
- Bookshelf: The Art of Baseball, Part Three: Baseball Archeology:Artifacts from the Great American Pastime, by
Wills and Aldridge (Chronicle Books, 1993); Baseball Treasures: Memorabilia from the National Pastime, by Douglas
Congdon-Martin and John Kashmanian. (Schiffer Publishing, 1992);The Barry Halper Collection of Baseball Memorabilia, (Barry
Halper Enterprises, 1999). Purebaseball, December 17, 1999
- Bookshelf: Lights, Camera, Play Ball! Diamonds in the Dark: America and The Movies, by Howard Good (Scarecrow
Press, 1997); The Cinema of Baseball: Images of America, 1929-1989, by Gary E. Dickerson (Meckler, 1991);
Great Baseball Films: From Right Off the Bat to A League of Their Own, by Rob Edelman (Citadel Press, 1994). Purebaseball,
February 3, 2000.
The All-Century Team, edited by Vancil and Hirdt (Rare Air Media) Purebaseball and The Warning Track, February/March,
Child's Play: Baseball Days: Recollections of America's
Favorite Pastime , by Garrett
Mathews (Contemporary); Joy in Mudville: A Little League Memoir,
by Greg Mitchell (Pocket Books). Purebaseball, March 6, 2000.
My Moments Are Greater Than Your Moments: Baseball: 100 Classic Moments in the History of he Game, by Joseph Wallace, Neil Hamilton
and Marty Appel (DK); TSN Selects Baseball's 25 Greatest Moments, by Ron Smith; Baseball Dynasties , by Neyer and Epstein
(W.W. Norton). Purebaseball, April 1, 2000
A Jew on the mound, in baseball's
simpler days ( The Rabbi of Swat . Michigan State University Press, 1999). New Jersey Jewish News , March 9, 2000
According to the Experts: A Ron Kaplan Extra. Purebaseball, March
He's a Rebel. The Hard Way: Writing
by the Rebels Who Changed Sport, Edited by Will Balliett and
Thomas Dyja (Thunder's Mouth Press, 1999); They Changed the Game: Sports Pioneers of the
20th Century , by Kenn Rappoport and Barry Wilner (Andrews
McMeel Publishing, 1999). Purebaseball, April 5, 2000
Baseball Roundup (includes Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time;
Baseball: 100 Classic Moments in the History of the Game; Past Time: Baseball as History; Keep Your Eye on the Ball: Curveballs,
Knuckleballs and Fallacies of Baseball, Revised and Updated; Baseball Days: Recollections of America's Favorite Pastime; The
Quotable Baseball Fanatic; Batter Up! The Ultimate Baseball Scorekeeper ), BookPage, April 2000
The Other National Pastime (A
Ron Kaplan Extra), Purebaseball, May 2, 2000
The Book on The Book: Spitters,
Beanballs and the Incredible Shrinking Strike Zone , by Wagoner, Moloney and Howard (Triumph). Purebaseball,
May 18, 2000
2b or Not 2b: Shakespeare on Baseball
, compiled by David Goodnough (Barricade Books). Purebaseball, May 26, 2000
Literary homage to America's game (includes Past Time; The National Game; Baseball: 100 Classic Moments in the History of the Game ) Cleveland
Plain Dealer, May 7, 2000
Books for Dad: America's Game, by Tim Kukrkijan (Crown); The Baseball Biographical Encyclopedia (Total/Sports Illustrated); The
Ballpark Book (The Sporting News); B aseball: 100 Classic Moments in the History of the Game , by Wallace,
Hamilton and Appel (DK); The Giants Encyclopedia , by Schott and Peters (SPI).
Purebaseball, June 13, 2000
Koufax, by Edward Gruver (Taylor
Publishing), New Jersey Jews News, June 15, 2000.
Fodor's Baseball Vacations , by
Bruce Adams and Margaret Engel, (Fodor's Travel Publications, 2000) BookPage,
According to the Experts: A Mid-Season
Return. A Ron Kaplan Extra. Purebaseball, July 12, 2000
Rooting for the Home Team, Purebaseball,
September 1, 2000.
Rooting for the Home Team. CBS
Sportsline, September 22,
You Heard It Here First. Purebaseball,
October 4, 2000.
You Heard It Here First. CBS Sportsline,
October 11, 2000.
According to the Experts, Part
III. Purebaseball, October
Pennant Winners Squared. Baseball
Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time, by Neyer and Epstein.
Elysian Fields Quarterly, Fall 2000
Sports Gift Books: The 500 World's Greatest Golf Holes , by George Peper,
et al (Artisan); Speedworks: 10 Days at Daytona , (Harper Collins); Baseball's Best Shots: The Greatest Baseball Photography
of All Time (DK); NFL's Greatest: Pro Football's Best Players, Teams and Games (DK); Sports: The Visible Reference (Firefly).
BookPage, December 2000.
And the Fans Roared: The Sports
Broadcasts That Kept Us on the Edge of Our Seats, by Joe Garner. ForeWord, December 2000/January 2001.
Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life, by Richard Ben Kramer (Simon and Schuster). Elysian Fields Quarterly, Vol. 18 No. 1.
Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life, by Richard Ben Kramer (Simon and Schuster). January Magazine, December, 2000.
Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life, by Richard Ben Kramer (Simon and Schuster). Bookreporter, December 1, 2000.
Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life, by Richard Ben Kramer (Simon and Schuster). Purebaseball , December 12, 2000.
Going Bats: The Gospel According
to Louisville Slugger ( Batting Around, Complete Book of Pitching, Crack of the Bat: The Louisville Slugger Story, Louisville Slugger: The Complete
Book of Hitting Faults ) Purebaseball, March 26, 2001.
In the Grip of Baseball: Ball
Four: The Final Pitch, Heartbreakers: Baseball's Most Agonizing Defeats, Great Home Runs of the 20th Century, The Oldest Rookie:
Big League Dreams From a Small Town Guy, Inside Pitch: Life in Professional Baseball, Baseball Extra. BookPage, April 2001
One Shot is Worth a Thousand Years
( Home Run, The Greatest Home Runs of the 20th Century, Casey at the Bat ). Purebaseball,
April 3, 2001.
The Legacy of Ball Four and Other
Sport Tomes, Bookreporter, April 6, 2001.
The Final Season: Fathers, Sons
and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark, by Tom Stanton, (Thomas Dunne Books). Baseball America, April
The Journal of Biddy Owens,
by Walter Dean Myers (Scholastic). BookPage, May 2001.
The Final Season: Fathers, Sons
and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark, by Tom Stanton, (Thomas Dunne Books). Purebaseball, May 18, 2001.
The Head Game, by Roger Kahn (Harcourt Brace), Bookreporter, May 21, 2001.
The Book of Baseball Literacy,
by David H. Martinez (iuniverse.com), BookPage (ebook). June 2001.
The Final Season: Fathers, Sons
and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark, by Tom Stanton, (Thomas Dunne Books). Bookreporter, June 11, 2001.
Home Run, edited by George Plimpton (Harcourt). Bookreporter, June 11, 2001.
Time Marches On ( The Baseball Timeline, The Chronicle of Baseball: A Century of Major League Action, A Stitch in Time: A Baseball
Chronology, 1845-2000, Day-by-Day in Baseball History, Baseball Extra, Baseball Archives from The Sporting News ) Purebaseball,
June 17, 2001.
Covering Bases of America's Game: Baseball: 100 Years of the Modern Era (Sporting News), The Baseball Timeline, Baseball:
The National Pastime in Art and Literature. Cleveland Plain Dealer, June 20, 2001.
Oral Traditions of the Game: The
Babe Book, I Remember Joe DiMaggio, True Blue: The Dramatic History of the Los Angeles Dodgers, From 33rd
Street to Camden Yards, Growing Up Baseball, Grand Slams! The Ultimate Collection of Baseball's Best Quips, Quotes and Cutting Remarks
. Purebaseball, June
The Game: One Man, Nine Innings:
A Love Affair With Baseball, by Robert Benson (Tarcher/Putnam). BookPage, July 2001.
The Midsummer Classic: The Complete
History of the All-Star Game, by Vincent, Spatz and Smith (University of
Nebraska Press). Purebaseball, July 10, 2001.
All-Star Extra, Purebaseball,
July 10, 2001
A Pitcher's Story: Innings with David Cone, by Roger Angell. Bookreporter, July 15, 2001.
The Baseball Timeline, by Burt Solomon (DK Publishing). BookPage (On-Line only), August 2001.
Welcome to The Hall: Twin Killing:
The Bill Mazeroski Story,! Kirby Puckett: Baseball's Last Warrior, I Love This Game: Life and Baseball, Dave Winfield: A Player's Life, True Stories of Baseball's Hall of Famers . Purebaseball, August 3, 2001.
Take Me Out to the Beach (Fiction):
Breaking Balls, About 80 Percent Luck, Sut McCaslin: A Baseball Romance, Shadow Ball: A Novel of Baseball and Chicago; Japanese Baseball and Other Stories, Baseball Fantastic, Murderer's Row . Purebaseball, August 3, 2001.
Touring the Fairways in Fact and
Fiction: Fairways, Fourteen Clubs and the Auld Claret Jug, A Mulligan for Bobby Jobe . Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 15, 2001.
Der Ahe & The St. Louis Browns, by J. Thomas Herrick (Scarecrow Press). Nine, Vol. 9, No. 1 & 2.
Baseball and The American Dream:
Race, Class, Gender and the National Pastime, by Robert Elias (M.E. Sharpe), ForeWord, Fall 2001.
Hall of Fame Revisited: The Road
to Cooperstown: A Critical History of Baseball's Hall of Fame Selection Process , by James F. Vail (McFarland) and Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame? By Bill James (Fireside Books). Purebaseball. September 5, 2001.
The Mets Encyclopedia, by Peter Bjarkman (SPI). Metsonline.net, September 7, 2001.
Shadowball, by Peter M. Ruckoff (McFarland). Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 23, 2001.
"He's true to his religion and
I honor him for that . . ." Bio and Video on Hank Greenberg. Purebaseball. September 18, 2001.
The Mets Fan's Almanac, by Duncan Bock and John Jordan (Crown). Metsonline.net, September 25, 2001.
1951: When Giants Played the Game,
by Kerry Keane (SPI).Purebaseball, October 2, 2001.
Heat: My Life on and Off the Diamond,
by Dwight Gooden with Bob Klapisch (Morrow), Metsonline.net, October 16, 2001.
Back to School: Ba seball: An
Encyclopedia of Popular Culture , by Edward J. Reilly (ABC-CLIO); The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball , by Jonathan Fraser Light (McFarland); The Visual Dictionary of Baseball, by James Buckley, Jr. (DK). Purebaseball, November 4, 2001.
Extra Innings: Writing on Baseball,
by Richard Peterson (University of Illinois Press). American Book Review, November/December 2001.
The Life and Times of Shoeless
Joe Jackson, by David L. Fleitz (McFarland). Elysian Fields Quarterly, Fall 2001.
The Worst Team Money Could Buy,
by Bob Klapisch with John Harper (Random House). Metsonline.net, November 6, 2001.
On Paper (A Ron Kaplan Extra). Purebaseball, November 13, 2001. Back at the Plate: Japanese Baseball and Other Stories , by W.P. Kinsella (Thistledown Press); Baseball Fantastic, edited by W.P. Kinsella (Quarry Press). January Magazine, November 17, 2001.
The New York Mets: 25 Years of Baseball Magic, by Jack Lang (Henry Holt & Co.). Metsonline.net, November 22, 2001.
Gift Giving: Games Faces, Cal and Boston Red Sox: 100 Years-The Official Retrospective (The Sporting News). Purebaseball,
November 29, 2001.
Golf Books: How I Play Golf ,
by Tiger Woods (Warner); The Golfer's Guide to the Meaning of Life , by Gary Player (Rodale); A Golfer's Education , by Darren Kilfara (Algonquin). BookPage, December 2001.
Unique Sports and Games Around
the World, by Doris Corbett et al. (Greenwood), Multicultural Review, December 2001.
Fun and Games: Four Decades of
the Best of Bob August (Moonlight Press). Cleveland Plain Dealer, December 2, 2001.
More Gift Books: Baseball: A Celebration
, by James Buckley Jr., (DK); Cubs Collection: 100 Years of Chicago Cubs Images , by Mark Stang (Orange Frazier Press); Blue Skies, Green Fields , by Ira Rosen (Clarkson Potter); The World Series: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Fall Classic (Black Dog and Leventhal). Purebaseball,
December 5, 2001.
The Mets from Mobile: Cleon Jones and Tommie Agee, by A.S. "Doc" Young (Harcourt, Brace and World, Inc.); Cleon (The Life Story of the One and Only), by Cleon Jones (Coward-McCann). Metsonline.net, December 27, 2001.